Web site & all images contained herein
Marty Pouwelse.
          Home > Severe Weather 2007 / 2008 Season > Brisbane Tue 9 Oct 2007

Brisbane Tue 9 Oct 2007

Click the thumbnails for a larger view.
Images are available to purchase.

The fourth consecutive day of storms in SE Qld, and with an early morning 'day job', the many photos of the previous day's events, preparing a web page, the actual storm chasing, and trying to squeeze some sleep in, I'm getting tired... but not too tired!

We were again lucky enough to have several cells about the place. The main area of forecast instability was to the NW of Brisbane, and by 2pm there was a nice cell firing at Esk. By the time I noticed it on radar it was too late to chase, but new cells were forming just to the SW of Brisbane. After having a look from Mt Gravatt, I decided to head north.

There were two main cells at this point. One around Ipswich heading for Cleveland, the other over Marburg and heading for Redcliffe. Here's the view from the Gateway Bridge to the SW. Rain is visible, but no base features:

Click for a larger view

The SE cell (heading for Cleveland) was looking good and I didn't want to go too far north of it, so I stopped at the airport for a look south. This storm was now dumping hail around Old Cleveland Rd. Lightning was infrequent but visible.

Click for a larger view

Meanwhile another cell was crossing Caloundra and some pileus was visible.

Click for a larger view

At this point the Marburg cell was really hotting up. There was a substantial black core to this storm on radar and it was becoming something I didn't want to get stuck under, but I really wanted to be north of it to get a good view of any shelf cloud. Trouble is, a thousand people are week are moving into Queensland and the state govt simply cannot keep up with providing an adequate road network to cope with the influx. Sure, I might've been in a hurry, but the 15 km drive from the airport to the Deagon Deviation took nearly an hour.

However... as I drove down Airport Drive and heard reports of hail and the black core on the radar, I really wondered whether continuing to Redcliffe was wise. I was considering a contingency plan should I get close to hail, but also wondering whether I should just turn around and stay safe.

Well, by the time I got to Redcliffe I had barely received moderate rainfall and the core was out to sea. As it turned out, hail had dropped just N or Redcliffe so I didn't even see any hail drifts.

Anyway, it was now getting dark so I managed a few lightning shots as it headed out to sea.

Click for a larger view Click for a larger view Click for a larger view Click for a larger view

As it continued NE, another cell tracked across Caboolture and further north which gave off some lightning of it's own. Most of it was a long way away, but then this gorgeous twin CG dropped a lot closer.

Click for a larger view Click for a larger view Click for a larger view Click for a larger view Click for a larger view Click for a larger view

There was quite an impressive number of cells flickering away from the NW around to the E, but they eventually became too distant to worry about.

The following photo is a bit overexposed because of sheet lightning, but a large number of CG strikes are just visible.

Click for a larger view

Thanks heaps to Michelle and Drew for their patience and putting up with my constant requests for radar updates! One day I'll get myself kitted up...

Want me to email you when I add a new storm chase report? Click here.

Home